I made this recipe for the first time for my 13th birthday party. But to warn you before you begin, be aware that you will have a LOT of Chocolate Mousse (a whole 6 cups), so be prepared with a large amount of people before you start baking. Otherwise, only half will actually be eaten, which is a waste of hard work and delicious chocolatey goodness. But this recipe is extremely fun, rich, and amazing.
- 6 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1-3/4 cup heavy cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In a double boiler set over barely simmering water, melt the chocolate with 2 tablespoons of the heavy cream, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from the heat and let cool until lukewarm. Stir in the vanilla.
- Add the remaining cream a large mixing bowl. Whisk the cream quickly. If you have an electric mixer, start it speed 4 and slowly increase to speed 12 for about 1 minute and 20 seconds, until the cream holds soft peaks. Stir about one fourth of the whipped cream into the cooled melted chocolate mixture. Then fold in the remaining whipped cream. Cover and refrigerate the mousse for 30 minutes. Spoon or pipe into serving bowls or goblets. If desired, garnish with shaved or finely chopped chocolate and a dollop of whipped cream.