Lemon Chicken Almondine
By 365 Ways To Cook Chicken
This is a recipe my Dad always makes. It is a favorite in our household. My dad has apparently cooking this recipe out of 365 Ways To Cook Chicken since he was in college. It's crazy and fascinating to think of how long many recipes last in families. I love how they grow, edit, and change to become better and better. That has happened with my great-grandmother's Apple Pie and it has also happened with this recipe.
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, pounded to 1/4 inch thickness
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
- 1 2-1/2 oz (70 grm). package sliced or slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 cup (225 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp (15 ml) water
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- lemon slices, for garnish
- Place chicken in large shallow baking dish (or bowl).
- Combine lemon juice, mustard, garlic, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Beat in oil; pour over chicken.
- Marinade 1 hour at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Place almonds in a small baking pan.
- Bake until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain chicken, reserving marinade.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add chicken and cook about 4 minutes a side, until lightly browned; remove to a dish.
- Add reserved marinade and chicken broth to pan.
- Boil over high heat, stirring, until the sauce reduces by half, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until thickened and smooth.
- Add parsley and cayenne pepper.
- Reduce heat, return chicken to pan, and heat through.
- Transfer chicken to a serving platter and pour sauce over all.
- Sprinkle toasted almonds over chicken and garnish with lemon slices.